General, Justice in Israel, Press Releases
PRESS RELEASE| November 14th 2015
Please join us this Wednesday (November 19 2014) at the Knesset’s International Day for the Eradication of Poverty as we demand the government stop ignoring poverty in Israel.
In the coming weeks the government is expected to approve the final budget for the coming year. This budget, however, ignores more than 1.755 million people living in poverty in Israel. For these people, they will continue to live without essential rights, including the right to shelter, educational stipends, and the right to search for employment without impediments. In a preliminary examination of the draft budget, the Forum for the Struggle Against Poverty concluded that despite slogans and statements from elected officials that say otherwise, it seems the government intends to continue to neglect both the people in Israel living in poverty, as well as the problem of poverty in general that plagues our state.
On Wednesday, November 19 2014, the Knesset will mark International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, led by Knesset members Ilan Gilon, Orly Levy-Abekasis and Chaim Katz, in conjunction with the Forum for the Struggle Against Poverty. The day will focus on the fight against poverty through the implementation of the recommendations of the Alaluf Committee to Fight Poverty into the upcoming budget of 2015.
As part of the day the Knesset committees will discuss the selected recommendations from the Alaluf report alongside ways to implement them immediately in the current budget. The day of discussions will be held in the main chamber of the Knesset and will address the question of how to influence the Israeli government to implement the recommendations of the Committee in the 2015 budget.
Agenda (subject to change)
09:00 Knesset committee discussions
- The Knesset Interior and Environmental Protection – public housing – allocation of public housing tenants apartments Sde Dov
- The Education, Culture and Sport – application of differential budgeting in the education system and application of the Alaluf report
- Labor, Welfare and Health – setting a maximum threshold for the number of families treated by family social worker, increasing standards and an equitable distribution (of what….?)
- Economic Committee – Discussion bill public housing tenant rights (information transparency in housing) of the lobby for public housing
- Committee on the Rights of the Child – Poverty among children in Israel following the UNICEF report
14:00 Conference Centers
- Opposition leader MK Isaac Herzog
- Eli Alaluf, chairman of the Alaluf Committee to Fight Poverty
- National Insurance CEO, Prof. Shlomo Mor-Yosef
Registration required: Click here to register (limited spots available)
Facebook event listing here
Partner organizations in the community to combat poverty:
*Union of Social Workers*Anu*Prisoner Rights*Israeli Association for Ethiopian Jewry* Association for Civil Rights in Israel*Society for Patient Rights in Israel*Unit for Community Work-Bat Yam*The Israeli Center for the Promotion of Social Justice*Sikkuy*Internships for Social Change- Beersheva*Students for Social Work*Social Safety Network*Rabbis for Human Rights*Haifa Cooperative for Stopping the Cycle of Poverty*Shatil*Yes for the Elderly-Promoting Senior Rights*Activists from communities living in poverty